Followers

Monday, June 19, 2017

"Ways I Have Failed Bigly with Parenting a Kid with Autism."

Hi! If you haven't figured it out by now I really suck at all this. If anything can come from my failures, it's that  you can read blogs like mine and learn how to avoid doing stuff like this yourself. I'm like a walking PSA!

Take today for example. We finally have a therapist that's coming to the house to work with the Kiddo and so far it's been great! Kiddo really likes her and she has him doing all sorts of stuff. It's been great because I learned a long time ago that Kiddo will usually be extremely willing to learn and do stuff with a person that didn't have twelve hours of labor with him only to wind up having a C section and is still numb around the scar site to this day. (Not that I'm bitter or anything. It's just one of those things of his. He likes to "perform" for them, the attention junkie that he is.

Miss "J" has started showing him how to make his bed independently.  Last week, he was really pleased with himself and for a couple of days, kept it up. Proud of all that work. He didn't want to mess it up.  Of course, like a lot of stuff, he starts sliding back to his old messy ways.  I saw this morning he left it unmade and I left it like that knowing she was coming over.  "They can work on it later."

I should have checked the bed.

Like really, really, really should have checked the bed.

If you find yourself in a similar situation, check the bed.

So she goes in there with him to work on it again and she discovered pretty quickly that the blankets and sheets were wet.  Meaning he wet the bed and me, being a clueless dope, left it there on his bed all damn day for her to discover.

I wanted to crawl under the covers and die but I couldn't even do that because they were covered in pee. Really Kiddo? Like, really?  I passed a kidney stone while pregnant with you with NO pain medications to keep you safe.  This is my "thank you"?!?!?!

"Okay, we're going to learn how to strip the bed. Got sheets?' and like a trooper she had the Kiddo come on over and strip the bed.  She made him feel the damp parts and said "This is wet.  This is what wet sheets feel like."  and I hastily brought in a fresh set and ran out of his room with the wet ones mortified.

She doesn't get paid enough to touch my son's peed steeped sheets. She does not. I need to find out what kind of liquor she likes because damn, if she didn't earn a cocktail today.  Oh my God "J", I am so sorry. So very, very, very, sorry.  I will never not check the bed again.  I swear.

Folks, learn from this huge failure.

ALWAYS CHECK THE BED!

Kiddo busy looking up clips on YouTube on ways to get your mom to make your bed for you because life skills learning is a drag. 



6 comments:

  1. I think it is great that he is making his bed. Congratulations! Ms. J is very smart. I used to not wear deodorant and then I got sick from my own stench. Showing me that something might trigger sensory issues is a great motivator. I am very proud of your son. I can't make the bed yet, and it's great that he can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is great that he is making his bed. Congratulations! Ms. J is very smart. I used to not wear deodorant and then I got sick from my own stench. Showing me that something might trigger sensory issues is a great motivator. I am very proud of your son. I can't make the bed yet, and it's great that he can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you'll be able to look back at this at some point & see how much kiddo was able to learn from this situation. Our inclination to just whip those sheets off & wash them doesn't give our guys the chance to experience just why they need to be whipped off & washed. Doing it with a neutral person who could walk him through it was the best thing that could have happened. Really! My kiddo is 21 now, and still progressing in his own, particular style. I thank goodness for the neutral folks (therapists, counsellors, etc.) that have helped us to get him this far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nah, i dont think thats a big deal at all. im sure shes seen that and worse. :P dont feel so badly! its not your responsibility to be on top of every single thing that happens ever. ;) and she had him learn what to do - even better!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's seen much worse, I am sure! I might still buy her a cocktail, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is how you "live and learn'. It's a part of parenting for everyone. Very few adults know everything about parenthood, and a child with autism makes learning even harder. Nobody can be a perfect parent- just being there for Kiddo is enough. Besides, I'm sure "J" has been through much worse in her lifetime.

    ReplyDelete